Friday, July 23, 2010

Recipe Time: Zucchini Pie

I have talked before about my zucchini pies, and I thought I would finally share the recipe. Remember - it looks and tastes just like an apple pie!
·8 cups zucchini (extra large zucchini are preferred b/c they're firmer)
·1 1/2 cups apple juice (may use water)
·1 1/4 cups sugar; divided
·1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
·1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
·1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
·2 Tablespoons lemon juice
·1 to 2 Tablespoons butter
·dough for a double pie crust (9 inch)

1. Peel, wash and slice zucchini lengthwise. Remove seeds (I then sliced the zucchini lengthwise again, so I had 4 sections of zucchini b/c mine were extra, EXTRA large zucchinis!)
2. Slice like apples
3. Add juice (or water) and bring zucchini to a boil in a large saucepan. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until tender.
4. Cool and drain well.
5. Combine zucchini with 1 cup sugar, flour, cream of tartar, cinnamon and lemon juice.
6. Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of sugar and a little flour over the bottom of an unbaked 9 inch pie crust.
7. Add zucchini mixture and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons sugar; dot with butter.
8. Cover with top pie crust and flute to seal edges. Cut slits into top of crust for steam to escape. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes.
9. Best served warm with a couple scoops of ice cream!

I used more like 8-10 cups of zucchini for my pies, but I have 9 1/2 inch pie plates so this helps to make a thicker pie.
I was also inspired to post this recipe, because I found another zucchini pie recipe that I am going to have to try soon...you can check it out here.

1 comment:

Stacia said...

yummy. i got a recipe for chocolate chip zucchini bread i'm going to try soon!