On Thursday, after one last follow-up doctors appointment for Dallas' bronchitis - that did in fact turn to pneumonia, Dallas and Reba headed up north with Pa, Gram and Aunt Josie for a few days. While they were gone, Doug and I were busy redoing Big D's bedroom.
You might remember, his room had a sports wallpaper boarder and white walls.
I was never really thrilled with his room, and I had been wanting to do something different, but I wasn't sure what I wanted. I knew I wanted something tractor related, and after seeing various tin signs at tractor and toy shows...I started to develop a plan.
First thing up - get the wallpaper off the walls and fill in holes
The wallpaper was a bit of a struggle at first. I had scored the paper with a specific wallpaper removing tool, and used a combination of warm water and vinegar to help break up the adhesive backing. That wasn't working too well, so we got out a wet rag and the clothes iron to create steam. That took the paper off, but it also took the paint off underneath the paper! I might add that Doug and I were doing this around midnight, so we were getting rather frustrated. We chose to stop and get a fresh start the next morning. We then learned that we needed to use the hottest water we could stand along with the vinegar. That got the paper layer off, and then we reapplied the hot water mix and used a putty knife to scrap the remaining glue off the walls.
Here is what the room looked like right before painting!
Dallas also asked for some shelves for his tractors, so his wish was granted...
The Big D had fallen asleep on the way home from my aunt's house (Christmas with the extended Robertson's), so his reaction was a bit delayed when he saw his room for the first time...
The next morning, he woke up, walked down the hallway, got a huge smile on his face and went right back into his room to play!
Until next time...