Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sweet Corn!

I had a busy day...it started last night when Doug and I picked over 10 dozen ears of sweet corn Then, Doug helped shuck a couple dozen ears before leaving for work, I finished shucking the rest before Reba got up

I filled up a couple trash bags with the husks
I then had to take a break to feed Reba and find her some toys
Then, the ears were ready for a washing
Next, came the blanching and cooling
Yes, I had corn everywhere!
It was then time for lunch, so I took another break. Reba then chilled in her highchair for a while
Reba went down for a nap, so I got busy cutting the corn off the cobs
My weapon of choice for cutting off the corn - my electric knife!
Look at all that beautiful corn
Now, what to do with those empty cobs...they'll wait until Doug gets off work :)
Finally, it was time to back and seal up the sweetness!
When it was all done, I had 17 bags of corn to put in the freezer. Yumm-o!
Whew, that wore me out ... how about you?
Until next time...

5 comments:

Missy!! said...

I put up some corn about a week ago..... but I think I need to invest in an electric knife... that is an AWESOME idea!! Sure does beat the old fashioned one!

Jennifer Ann said...

wow looks like you've been busy!

Carla said...

I'm surprised you were able to vacuum pack it. Seems like juicy stuff doesn't work real well in most of them.

Marc and Chelsea said...

Wow--that wears me out thinking of it! I don't know that I could do all that corn on my own! We eat so much corn - its so nice to have it year round!

I tried the apple butter - I couldn't wait for my apples! Ha ha!It was good. I just did half of everything. I needed to simmer it a bit longer-but the flavor was wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!

connie said...

that corn looks wonderful. Hope I can get some corn for the freezer. Just a few though! I hand off Dallas today, and I will miss him soooooooo much. So much fun and such a good boy.