Thursday, October 24, 2013

Apple Pickin'

After visiting the zoo on Friday morning, we headed out for lunch and then home for naps!  I had been wanting to go to a local apple orchard to pick apples to can.  We are on our last jar of apple butter and last jar of applesauce.  I was also out of apple pie filling.  Luckily, the orchard near us still had a great deal of apples!

The yellow apples were pretty much gone, but these red rome trees were full!
Off to find some apples...
The branches were so full that they hung nice and low so the kiddos had no problems pickin'
or taste tastin'
I wasn't quite sure how many apples I would need, but here are two of the three bags we brought home (a total of 62 pounds!)
I first made apple pie filling - I ended up with 12 quarts, which should make 6 pies.  Yumm-o!
I then made applesauce out of the remaining apples.  I saved 20 cups worth to make apple butter this weekend, and the rest (7 quarts) was kept as plain applesauce.  I'm sure everyone - including Baby B#3 - will enjoy it over the next year.

Until next time...

No comments: