Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Moving/Selling Update (and what we've been doin')

I am sorry for not blogging recently. We have been extremely busy in this house. I thought I would give you an update/run-down of what's been going on around here.

  • Thursday evening, Gram and Pa Bergman arrived to watch the kiddos for the weekend while Doug and I worked around the house
  • Friday, Doug took off work, as it was going to be the only nice day to work outside
  • On Friday, I took Reba to the hospital for her complete blood cell count (blood draw). Unfortunately, they drew the blood too slowly the first time and they weren't able to get an accurate count; therefore, they had to draw it again. Poor girl cried and cried...and there wasn't anything I could do help her until it was over. (The doctor's office called Monday afternoon with the results: her hemoglobin level was higher [it was 8.2 at the office on Wed., and it was 11.5 on Friday], but it was still below what they wanted it. Dr. Boelter talked with the pharmacist and worked up a special vitamin supplement to boost Reba's iron levels. They also suggested she eat more meat...which I just started her on this last week.)
  • Also, on Friday, I went to get my driver's license renewed. They expired on my birthday this year (July 30!) Luckily, there is a 60 day grace period, so I didn't have to take the written test again.
  • Once I got home around noon, Doug had already sprayed off the house and porch with the pressure washer. He was opening the paint to start on the porch. We were able to get the storm windows and most of the porch painted before we had to stop to get ready for Doug's going-away party at work. Bob and Connie also washed and painted the decorative corner pieces on the porch for us. I tell you what, it looks like a brand new porch now!
  • Friday night was the party at Fireside Winery. It was a beautiful evening to sit outside, eat supper, and drink a few glasses (or bottles) of wine :) while listening to the live music. Our dear friend, Gema, also surprised us by driving up from St. Louis for the party!
  • Saturday morning was a little slow going, but we were able to accomplish a few things. I painted the stairwell (that was a huge task!) Doug and Bob painted the trim for the bathroom.
  • I ran out of paint for the stairwell (I had combined left over paint, and thought the gallon would get it, but it didn't), and we needed a few pieces of trim to finish the bathroom; therefore, Doug and I made a trip to Coralville, to Lowes. We were able to match my "custom" paint and find all the pieces we needed.
  • Sunday morning started with church and then we stopped for breakfast on the way home.
    Doug and his parents worked on taking down my barn quilt once we were home from church. Luckily, the rain let up for a little bit and they were able to get it done successfully.
  • I decided to paint the closet in Reba's bedroom. There was a stain from an old leak in the roof. I got the first coat of primer on, and then Doug and I started on hanging the trim for the bathroom. We were able to get the bathroom finished just in time to watch the Colts!
  • Monday morning, I did the flight of the bumble bee cleaning the house because the first of 4 home inspections was to start at 10 am! These inspections are needed in order for us to be able to participate in the home buyout program with Monsanto.
  • The first inspection was a general house inspection. I was also able to schedule 2 of the other inspections for Monday late morning (the septic inspection and the structural inspection). As of now, we know that we "failed" the septic inspection, so we are working on lining up someone to come put in a new system for us.
  • Before the inspectors arrived, Bob and I were able to get the bushes trimmed up in front of the house. Those poor things hadn't had a trim in almost 2 years!
  • Doug's parents left around 11 Monday morning, after the final inspector had left. We were so thankful that they were able to come out and entertain the kiddos while Doug and I worked - there's no way we would have been able to get done what we did if they hadn't been here.
  • Monday afternoon, while the kiddos napped, I was able to put another coat of paint on the walls of Reba's closet. Monday evening, once Doug got home, I was able to finish painting the porch.
  • Tuesday morning, the 4th inspector, the pest guy, came - completing our first round of inspections!
  • Tuesday after lunch, Doug and I (and the kiddos) went and picked up my car from the mechanic. We decided to have Lily fixed so that I can have the car to drive while Doug can take the truck to Indiana to start work (he won't be getting a company vehicle with the new job).
  • Tuesday afternoon, while the kiddos napped (again), I was able to put the 3rd and final coat of paint on Reba's closet! Once Doug got home from work, I started painting the trim and doors in the stairwell. I was able to get one coat done before everyone went to bed.
  • That brings us to Wednesday...we took it easy this morning. This afternoon, there was another going-away party at the plant (the party Friday evening was just for Doug's group, today's was for the entire plant). I took the kiddos in for this party since they didn't go Friday night.
  • I hope to finish the last coat of paint on the stairwell trim tomorrow, as well as get some grocery shopping done.
  • Doug leaves on Saturday for Evansville, and begins work on Monday morning - not really looking for that.
  • Of course, in all of this mess, Dallas is working on learning to use the potty like a big boy. We have had a couple really successful days, and a few not so good days, but we are getting there. I hope that we can be somewhat established with it before moving. We are also getting ready to move Dallas into a big boy bed! Let's hope that goes smoothly, and he is adjusted before moving.

Well, that's our life recently. I am trying my best to keep up on everyone's blogs, but I apologize if I'm not commenting as much as I used to...

Until next time...

3 comments:

kristen said...

Sounds like you are busy worker bees! Good luck with the move and rest of the renovations!

Carla said...

You have been busy! too bad you didn't have all this done sooner for you to enjoy yourselves though. Matt and I aren't sure where Monsanto is in Evv.??? Don't forget to give him our phone #'s in case he needs anything while he's here. Let me know if I need to give them to you again.

Missy!! said...

Holy cow!! I'm impressed at all you've accomplished! :) Too bad about the septic system though... but yay for the buy out program! That sure will help your transition I'm sure! :) Good luck!