Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blood Drive

I did it! I gave blood for the first time yesterday.

I have wanted to do it for some time (a few years or more), but I have never gathered up the courage to follow through. Well, yesterday, I did.

Remember my neighbor Jess? Well, her family requested that people donate blood to the university blood blank to help replenish the supply used by Jess. (They made this request shortly after the first of the year while Jess was in the hospital) There was such an overwhelming response to the request, that the blood bank set up a day to come to Williamsburg for a blood drive in Jess' honor. The drive was from 3-7, and there was a constant line of people waiting to give. I'm not sure how many people came, but I think it was a great success.

Doug also gave blood. He must be a super-star blood giver because it didn't take him any time at all to fill the pint bag! It took me a little longer, but that's alright. The pathologist that drew my blood was awesome. He was a little worried when he first tried to feel for my vein, but he got it the first time. I didn't even feel the needle poke! I then got to wear a sticker for the rest of the evening saying, "First Time Blood Donor." and another one saying, "Be nice to me...I gave blood today."

Until next time...

2 comments:

Missy!! said...

YAY for YOU! I'm so proud of you 'Jean.. I can't believe you've never given any blood! I gave blood on Sunday.. but I didn't fair quite as well as you did, I have a huge bruise on my arm. But you know me.. I love those bruises!! :) Good job on mustering up your courage and going for the red! :)

Kristin said...

Way to go Rajean! Giving blood is something I've also been trying to come up with the courage to do lately. I see signs everywhere talking about not letting a shortage happen, but still I put it off. That's one of my goals for '09.