Thursday, June 14, 2012

Flowers & Veggies!

Growing up, I never cared too much about gardening - both vegetables and flowers, but now I truly enjoy working in the soil and seeing what comes from it.  Last week, my rain lily bloomed again!  It did much better this time...take a look:
When those 8 blooms were done, there was already another one shooting up to bloom again!  I'm so glad that I am able to get such beautiful blooms even if we are in a drought.
Our vegetable garden is also doing fairly well - again despite the drought.  We have cut and put up broccoli, finished off the first round of radishes, had our first BLT's for the summer with our own tomatoes, and we have even had fresh green beans one night for supper!  The rhubarb that we started this year is growing so well - even better than it did in Iowa!  The asparagas, as well as the strawberries and raspberries, are doing good, too.  We even planted two peach trees and an apple tree, and so far they are holding their own.

Just this morning, Dallas was up and at it early, so he helped me in the garden.  We picked green beans, eggplant, spinach, broccoli and green bell peppers (yes, he really did help pick)
I took the green beans with us to swim class and broke them while the kiddos swam :)  Then after lunch, they went into the pressure cooker...6 quarts!
Lastly, I'm definitely late in posting this picture of my flowers, but I'm sure you don't mind...

A week ago Monday, Doug and I celebrated our 7th Wedding Anniversary!  Doug had these flowers sent to me (he's sweet like that)
If you didn't see on Facebook, I posted this fun little fact...based on June 4, 2012
‎4,295 days ago - went on a blind date
3,087 days ago - he asked me to be his wife
2,558 days ago - we said "I do"
Happy 7th Wedding Anniversay, Doug!


Until next time...

2 comments:

Erin P said...

Oh lilies are my favorite...that rain lily is gorgeous! :) I still am not a green thumb, but maybe you're proof that I could become one in the future. ha

Gram said...

great pictures Rajean. Everything looks great. Good job all!