Saturday, April 7, 2012

Chicken Coop

My other big DYI project last week (while the kiddos were on spring break) was to build a chicken pen in the barn so they would no longer be in the garage!  Luckily, there was some work already done that I was able to "build on".  I think the original owner of this house once raised goats; therefore, there are were three stalls across the back wall in one section.  I was able to remove a "gate" that separated two of the stalls and made a larger area.  Then, I lined it all with chicken wire! 

Reba is standing in front of what used to be the middle stall, and Dallas is in front of the far right stall.  I left that gate operatable so we can get in to feed, water, and one day collect eggs!

As Dallas says, "Man! The chickens sure are growing!"
I'm so glad that he is not afraid of them.  He will go right in the pen and grab one!  He'll probably continue to do so until one of them pecks him good!
Reba tries her best to catch the chickens too, but she's just not as fast as big brother.  Thankfully, he was kind enough on this day to hold one chick for Reba to pet it.
Until next time...

5 comments:

Gram said...

Wow Rajean! It looks great! Hard to believe how big those chickens are already. That will be fun when the kids can collect eggs for breakfast.

Missy!! said...

I LOVE how Reba's glasses are upside down in the last picture! Too cute!

Katie said...

@Missy...I noticed the same thing! It made me laugh!!!

Katie said...

Oh Yeah, great work on the pen's Jean!

Erin P said...

You are one talented lady! Country girls definitely do it better :)

I noticed the upside glasses as well. Too cute!

PS - I tagged you in a blog award on my blog!