Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Saint Joseph

The for sale sign is in the front yard!
(Yes, I actually cried when I went to take this picture)

Since we are wishing for a fast sell, I decided to get the help of Saint Joseph, husband of Mary.
Why Saint Joseph?  The tradition has been traced to Saint Teresa of Avila who prayed that Saint Joseph would intercede to obtain land for Christian converts, and encourged her Discalced Carmelite nuns to bury Saint Joseph medals as a symbol of devotion, consecrating the ground in Joseph's name. Remember, also, that Joseph was a man who knew about moving on a moment's notice (e.g., the flight to Egypt), and providing for a home for his family. He also knows what it's like to have housing trouble (remember the manger? and being turned away from the inns?), and so is likely to be sympathetic to people with trouble getting or leaving a home.

The instructions say to bury Saint Joseph upside down, facing the road, and close to the for sale sign.  So, that's what Dallas and I did this morning.


The most important part of this is to pray.  Dallas and I said a short prayer this morning, and if you would like to pray with us - anything from the heart will do, or you can join us in the prayer we will be saying:

O, Saint Joseph,
you who taught our Lord the carpenter's trade, and saw to it that he was always properly housed, hear my earnest plea.

I want you to help me now as you helped your foster-child Jesus, and as you have helped many others in the matter of housing.

I wish to sell this house quickly, easily, and profitably and I implore you to grant my wish by bringing me a good buyer, one who is eager, compliant, and honest, and by letting nothing impede the rapid conclusion of the sale.

Dear Saint Joseph,
I know you would do this for me out of the goodness of your heart and in your own good time, but my need is very great now and so I must make you hurry on my behalf.

Saint Joseph,
I am going to place you in a difficult position  with your head in darkness and you will suffer as our Lord suffered, until this house is sold.

Saint Joseph, I swear before the cross and God Almighty,
that I will redeem you and you will receive my gratitude and a place of honour in my new home.

Amen.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Carla said...

Hopefully my sister will read your post and buy one as well!

Missy!! said...

So, when you move, does he get to go with you?

Jenni said...

Good luck with the sell. Hopefully you and the kids will be able to join Doug soon!