Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Funny, Yummy, Yucky Story Round-Up

The Funny Story...
Yesterday while I created the signs for Gram's birthday, Dallas wanted to color too. I gave him a piece of a paper and a marker. I then gave him another marker after realizing the first one was dried out. Here is the masterpiece Dallas created (on the paper)... ...and the masterpiece he created on himself.
Good thing they are washable markers!

The Yummy Story...
We have lots of juicy, red strawberries in our garden right now. I have froze about 2 gallons worth thus far, and we have had ice cream and strawberries about every night while watching Thomas the Tank.

I have never made a strawberry pie, but I thought I would give it a try while I had so many fresh berries.

Thanks to the help of my good friend Betty*, this was what I came up with...
It was a very easy recipe, and the result was heavenly - the secret I think is the layer of cream cheese under the strawberries!
*Betty mentioned in this story is my Betty Crocker Cookbook*

The Yucky Story...
Last Friday, Dallas woke up with a fever of 103! I gave him Tylenol right away, called the doctor, and followed their directions: cool rag to head, t-shirt only, no blanket, etc. They also said if he was still feverish on Saturday to bring him in to the office. His temperature dropped to around 100 by noon, and he was actually up and playing tractors. After nap time, his temperature was back around 103. More Tylenol and he was feeling better in no time. On Saturday morning, he woke up fever free!

As for me, I got to feeling bad late Saturday morning, and I got progressively worse as the day went on. I did not have a fever, but I ached all over. I had a sore, stiff neck, shooting pain down my ears, and it hurt badly to swallow. By Saturday evening, I noticed white spots on my tonsils. Sunday morning, my aches had went away, but my throat was still very sore and it hurt to swallow. I decided I would call the doctor Monday morning because I thought I had strep throat. Also on Sunday evening, I noticed red bumps on my fingers. They felt as though I had splinters...very strange.

Monday morning I called the doctor, and yes, she had time that afternoon to see me. Later in the morning while getting Dallas dressed, I noticed he had the same kinds of red bumps on his feet...really strange. At the doctor's office I made the comment about these bumps, but I didn't know if they were related.

The diagnosis: Yes, the bumps, Dallas' fever, and my soreness were all related! Dallas and I have Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease. We are feeling better, and trying our best not to pass it along to Doug and Reba. This morning, I noticed Dallas having a few bumps on his hands and I have them on my feet. We have no idea where we picked this up...it could be a multiple number of places. Unfortunately, there is no treatment, we just have to let it run its course.

(I tried to take some pictures of our bumpy feet and hands, but they didn't turn out well. Plus, you probably don't really want to see them. If you do, you can always "google it". Just beware there are lots of extreme case pictures out there.)

The doctor is most worried about Dallas not eating and/or drinking if he develops the bumps in his mouth (like me, which is why it is so painful to swallow). So...the doctor suggested a "liquid" diet if needed: ice cream, Popsicles, yogurt, pudding, jell-o, applesauce, etc. I'm sure Dallas is going to hate that!

So...there you have it. Our Funny, Yummy, Yucky Stories.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think our nieghbors behind us Jeb Stewart said his kids had that about a week or two ago.

Christy

Missy!! said...

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe it! Back during the "epidemic" I can't remember anyone getting it... JEan.. you are suspose to be getting the swine flu.. that is the new cool! :) I hope you recover quickly!

Feel free to send some of those strawberries my way! :) On second thought.. you keep them, I don't want your cooties! :)