Tuesday, September 8, 2009

DIY - Bathroom

As I mentioned in a previous post, Doug and I have been working on remodeling our bathroom. It started with me taking down the wallpaper while Dallas spent the week with his grandparents at the end of the July. Doug and I then ended up taking down all the drywall before my family came for the state fair. Thankfully, we had the help from my dad after the fair with the things we were unsure how to do. He helped us with the plumbing for the new shower; running new electricity for a vent fan, an outlet, and medicine cabinet; and hanging new drywall.

We still have the closet to finish - we had to lay new subfloor in there, so it is taking a little longer to complete. We also want to use the new shower for a while to double check there are no leaks before closing up the walls with new drywall.

Here are the much awaited pictures of the project! I have grouped the pictures to show the progress of each "area" in the bathroom - you will see it from start to finish.

This is the area above the door into the bathroom. As you can see, the wallpaper was falling off the wall, and then I found how much damage there was to the drywall once the wallpaper was gone.
This is the area over the sink and toilet. I am trying to decide what to hang over the toilet where the medicine cabinet used to be. I have either a picture, a shelf, or towel hooks.
This is our floor change...we went from blue carpet, to finding linoleum, to laying a new vinyl floor.
The new shower! Before, we only had a tub unit in the bathroom. We now have a tub/shower unit! I love being able to take showers in our actual bathroom, and not in the make-shift shower that is in the basement with the toads!
We have a small window in the bathroom and half of it is in the shower area. We were told by one contractor that this would cause a problem with a tub surround, but it was not a problem to trim the surround at all - it was rather quite easy.
Doug looked on the Internet and watched a DIY (do it yourself) video on how to switch a toilet. We were about 24 hours without a toilet, but it was well worth the wait! You can also see our new sink and cabinet unit in the last picture.
That's our new bathroom!
Until next time...

6 comments:

Christy said...

The bathroom looks great.

kristen said...

The bathroom looks wonderful! They should feature you on HGTV! I'm sure you will enjoy using it

Missy!! said...

No toliet for 24 hours? Did you and Doug borrow a couple of Dallas' diapers? No? You are now an expect pee-er huh!? :) Bathroom looks great!

Erin P said...

Looks great! Glad you survived the remodel process...I know how tough that had to have been as we only have 1 bathroom too and when mom goes to fix anything, she tries to plan it around when I'm gone. haha

Stacia said...

you must be so excited! looks great!

connie said...

can't wait until I visit to see all your hard work. Hey, that bathroom floor looks just like mine. Oh wait, I think it is mine! Good Job Doug and Rajean(and Jim too)